26 June 2016

26th June 2016 The Crown Inn and Lodges Crowntown, Cornwall review.

Well I hope you all enjoyed our little daily blog last week? I know I promised a blog from Tintagel but the weather and the traffic were equally appalling so we never actually made it there. We just trudged home behind the caravans and through the roadworks. But I realised I never really mentioned much about where we stayed, so I thought that would be a good post this week.

The lodge we stayed in. It was called Bramble.

The Crown Inn is just outside Helston and is aptly located in Crowntown. The pub itself is of the old fashioned family run variety. There doesn’t appear to be much brewery involvement here and the menus are printed by the pub. The drink selection isn’t huge but it’s very reasonable. They have mini bottles of wine for £3 a pop and Plymouth and tonic is £4.10 which is OK.

Blue steak. How it should be.

The food is home cooked and is generous. Well, it certainly is if you have the 16oz steak. I’m always slightly annoyed by these unnecessarily large meals. I always worry there must be a lot of food going to waste, a real pet hate of mine. I know that sounds hypocritical then ordering it but I ate every last bit. Bea had the ribs, which if I’m being honest was a much better than my steak. I’m not putting the steak down, it’s just that the ribs were something special. The breakfasts were also very generous. I asked for as much bacon and eggs as possible and I got four rashers with a good portion of scrambled egg which I thought was fair.

The ribs I had food envy over.

The rooms are actually in little chalets at the back of the pub. I really liked this idea as it keeps you away from any noisy drunks and it feels very holidayish. Our room was spacious and well kitted out with a spare bed, a kettle, an iron and a shower which was alright, no more. The bathroom floor was carpeted which I thought was a bit unhygienic. The beds were large and really comfy and it felt airy and fresh compared with and air conditioned hotel room. I’m not convinced they’d be that warm in the winter but that is pure speculation.


I got an extra bacon each day from my generous wife.

My one big qualm with the rooms is that there is no internet. No wifi. No phone signal. The wifi in the pub wasn’t great and trying to publish a blog with large photos every day was a hair pulling experience. It was only £80 a night but I expect at least some contact with the outside world. Overall though these are some very minor points in what was a great stay. We felt very welcome by family running the pub and they were very accommodating of Chuck which is always a plus. It’s also in a great central location for South Cornwall. I’d certainly book here again. If you want to check them out you can do so here. What are your main criteria when choosing a place to stay? Let us know in the comments. See you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment